Wash your wool duvet at home!
Our premium pure wool duvets have been extremely popular, but we always get asked how to wash them. Many people like to wash their own duvets, and our premium range needs very specific care when cleaning them. We have finally managed to source washable wool to fill our luxury duvets, and offer it to our clients who would prefer to machine wash their duvets.
Wool will always be the central DNA of our product offering, and we have carefully researched the wool we source to make our products, and if it will offer the best benefits to our wonderful clients.
Like a pure wool jersey, it is almost impossible to make wool washable in a domestic machine without some type of chemical treatment of the fibre. If you wash unstabilised wool in a domestic machine, it is guaranteed to go hard, and clump together in a process called felting.
Many other washable duvets have been treated with high levels of chlorine to remove the barbs on the wool fibres. These barbs cause the felting. But, if you remove the barbs, wool will lose its natural ability to manage moisture and regulate temperature. This intensive chlorine treatment also leads to chemical off-gassing when these wool duvets are slept under – not great for health benefits!
We are very aware of the plastic pollution problem in our environment. Our washable wool duvets use a small percentage of recycled plastic to stabilise the wool fibres to make them washable in a domestic machine.
Why choose a washable wool duvet?
When you sleep under wool, you will notice the difference immediately if you are currently sleeping under feathers, down, alpaca or synthetic plastic duvets. So many of our clients have told us that they sleep longer and better. This is due to wool’s natural properties that manage heat and moisture. This reduces humidity under the duvet, so sweating and overheating is significantly reduced.
Because of its natural cleaning and anti-moisture properties, wool does not attract dust mites. There is no food source for these parasites. This means no dust mite faeces that causes allergic reactions.
- TOG : Approximately 3 – 8 TOG
- Outer casing : 200 threadcount 100% cotton percale
- Filling : 200GSM (grams per square metre) stabilised wool batting (>80% pure wool with <20% recycled PET plastic stabilisers)
- Construction : Washable wool filled casing of white 200TC percale quilted in horizontal lines, bound with 2cm white double fold binding.
- Care Instructions : Wash on a gentle wool cycle in your domestic machine at no higher than 40 degrees. Use a wool detergent. Spin at lower than 800 RPM. Line dry. Do not tumble dry. Do not iron. Do not dry clean.